You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aperture hangs when closing after emptying trash #1
David Edge's picture
by David Edge
February 26, 2012 - 11:04pm

Is it just me this happens to? Not absolutely every time but as often as not.

http://d.pr/svuX

Activity monitor suggests nothing much is going on:

http://d.pr/WQgJ

I thought it was something to do with my old library, but it's just done it on a brand-new library. I think I've left it overnight before to see if it comes out of its sulk - it doesn't.

d.

d.

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
March 22, 2012 - 3:41am

Sorry Joseph - me being too casual. yes it is indeed a hang.

That said, I provoked it once after 3.2.3 came out and it behaved. But it’s all backed up anyway so I’ll give the cunning plan a go.

David

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 22, 2012 - 4:48am

“Baldrick, I have a cunning plan…”

1. Disable sharing in Aperture’s preferences (set it to “never”)
2. Ensure you’re backed up
3. Ensure it again. Please. If all goes to hell, I want to know that you can easily recover. Best backup is a finder duplicate, because you can recover instantly.
4. Right click on the Aperture Library and choose “Show Package Contents”
5. Move the file ApertureData.xml to the Desktop. This is the xml file that Aperture uses to share file locations with other apps.
6. There’s another file in there, iLifeShared > ApertureDatabaseTimestamp that on my system is taking up zero bytes, but I did see it change as I ticked iLife sharing. Go ahead and move that folder to the Desktop too. I honestly don’t recall seeing that one before, but it clearly has to do with iLife sharing, so go ahead and move that, too.
7. Close the package folder
8. Relaunch Aperture and turn sharing back on, then quit. It’ll rebuild on the first quit and could take a while.

And hopefully that’s all there is to it!

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 27, 2012 - 3:08am

David,

Try turning off sharing in the Aperture preferences, quitting, relaunching the turning it back on, and quitting again. If that doesn’t fix it, I’ll give you something else to try, but it involves digging in the package so I prefer you try this first.

If we go to the next level, you’ll want a copy of your Library, so be prepared to duplicate it or put it on another drive.

@PhotoJoseph

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
February 27, 2012 - 9:51pm

Joseph
Certainly after trying that I have emptied it without it hanging. However I’ll keep an eye on it and let you know if it does it again.
David

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
February 28, 2012 - 4:33am

David,

Great. That’s usually all it takes to reset the database.

@PhotoJoseph

David Edge's picture
by David Edge
March 18, 2012 - 8:17pm

Hi Joseph
It’s crashed again already. Could we try your cunning ‘under the bonnet’ wheeze please?

David

d.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
March 19, 2012 - 12:56am

David,

Are we talking about the same problem? You said “it crashed again already”, but before you weren’t having a crashing problem, we were talking about it never quitting. What’s actually happening now?

If it’s crashing, do some database repairs. Check the FAQ: Repair or rebuild database for instructions.

If it’s the same hang and not a crash, then I’ll tell you what to do.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness