You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Facebook Plugin? #1
Graham Hodge's picture
by Graham Hodge
October 3, 2010 - 7:31am

When I go to export to Facebook I get a message about opening Aperture in 32bit.
Does anyone know the solution here.

Sorry for the dumb question.

Taking Pics in Tassie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 3, 2010 - 4:16pm

Graham,

You must be using a plug-in… you know that Aperture has Facebook export built-in now, right? You can just select your Album or photos and click the Facebook button at the top of the toolbar.

The error you’re seeing is because the plug-in is 32-bit, and Aperture 3 is 64-bit. All plug-ins needed to be updated for use with Aperture 3. Some have, some haven’t… it’s a process for all developers. If for whatever reason you prefer to use a plug-in for Facebook export instead of Aperture 3’s built-in tool, you’ll need to check the plug-in developer’s website for an update. They may not have one though, since the functionality is included with Aperture now.

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

Graham Hodge's picture
by Graham Hodge
October 3, 2010 - 9:44pm

Thanks Joseph, looks like the plugin is obsolete. What I was doing was right clicking an image - export - Aperture to Facebook.
I see now there is a more excellent way..drag and dropping to the Facebook icon in Library and syncing.

I use another plugin for Phanfare, an online photo album, but find dragging and dropping works best there too.
cheers

Taking Pics in Tassie

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 4, 2010 - 1:09am

Graham,

Once a Facebook album has been created by Aperture, then yes you can add to it (or remove) by dropping photos on the album in the Library. You can also create as many new Facebook albums as you like by selecting photos and clicking that Facebook icon in the toolbar.

Enjoy!
-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 4, 2010 - 2:01am

A related question on the Facebook capability in Aperture 3: I’ve found that Aperture 3 uploads a smaller image size to Facebook than if you upload via the web interface when logged in to Facebook. Now that Facebook is rolling out even higher resolution photo support in October, the difference in upload size will increase. What controls the size photo Aperture uploads to Facebook?

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 4, 2010 - 5:05pm

Thomas,

Aperture doesn’t offer any controls, and so it’d need to be updated I think to take advantage of the higher resolution offerings.

However I’m going to step out of character here for a moment and suggest that uploading higher resolution photos to Facebook is NOT a good idea, unless you’re just talking about snapshots of friends and you want them to be able to get a higher rez image. Facebook has changed its policies on what they own when you upload your work so many times that I’m not even sure where it’s at now, but I think that it’s still “once you upload, you give Facebook the right to do anything they want with your work—including sell it”. Considering how volatile their policies are, as much as I love Facebook as a social engine, I’m not about to upload anything worth anything to their site.

My 2¢.

@PhotoJoseph

Thomas Emmerich's picture
by Thomas Emmerich
October 5, 2010 - 11:22am

Thanks Joseph, I’m aware of the Facebook policies. I’ve read many stories from other photographers who’ve canceled their Facebook accounts due to their policies. I don’t think I have anything of much value to them. If I did, maybe I should get into the stock photo business. Never mind.

I would really like the option though in Aperture to specify what size to upload to Facebook. MobileMe already has this choice. Plug-in’s don’t work as well because they don’t keep track of albums you’ve uploaded and keep them up to date.

Maybe in Aperture 4?

Thomas

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
October 5, 2010 - 7:01pm

Thomas,

Hopefully not that long!

You said the facebook higher rez rollout is this month? Let’s see if there’s an update in Aperture to follow.

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?
randomness