You are here

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pictures in Viewer rotated sideways #1
Florian Cortese's picture
by Florian Cortese
July 11, 2011 - 10:40pm

A curious thing happend to me this morning. I was working in Aperture and was trying to do some adjustments on a photo when I got the spinning beach ball. I closed out of Aperture and then opened it up again. When I did I noticed some of my pictures in the Split View (also in Browser) mode had rotated. When I click on them, they load correctly. I have tried restarting the computer twice now but no change. Anyone else experience this? Any ideas how to fix it?

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

Chris Hoch's picture
by Chris Hoch
July 11, 2011 - 10:44pm

You need to re-generate all your preview images. It has happened to me before and that fixed it.

Roger Musser's picture
by Roger Musser
July 12, 2011 - 9:05am

Thanks Florian and Chris, I’ve had this problem too.

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 12, 2011 - 9:42am

Florian,

It could be pointing at a bigger problem of a damaged database. Do a database repair asap, and you will likely need to rebuild previews as well.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph
— Have you signed up for the mailing list?

by Florian Cortese
July 12, 2011 - 11:55am

Did the damage database repair and still no changes to some of the images showing up rotated. It is only in one project that this has happened to. Of course, I have a few smart albums that this pictures also so up in os they are rotated there as well. But it appears this one project is the problem. It contains random photos, what I label as “misc” over a 3 month period and a total of 147. The ones that rotated where taken from the past two days and the problem only began with the spinning beach ball on attempt at adjusting one of the photos. Chris, Joseph-how do I regenerate my preview images now that the database repair was attempted? BTW, I chose the repair database option. Or are there any other options. I do have them backed up on a Time Capsule. Do I re-import them? Thanks for any suggestions.

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 13, 2011 - 8:18am

Florian,

To rebuild the previews, first Delete Preview, then Generate Preview [screenshot].

If this solves it, then don’t worry about doing any more repair work beyond the database repair that you already did.

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

by Florian Cortese
July 13, 2011 - 11:23am

Joseph & Chris- That did it. However, some of the photos which were originally horizontally shot are now vertical!? In other words, all of the the rotated images when corrected by the delete-generate preview process remained vertical. But at least everything is not rotated. I’m still not sure why or how this happen. I just hope it does not do it again. If it does, I’ll know what to do. Joseph, do you still recommend going the repair database route first? Just curious, should I encounter this again.Thanks for all of the help!

Florian

Florian Cortese
www.fotosbyflorian.com

PhotoJoseph's picture
by PhotoJoseph
July 13, 2011 - 11:35am

Florian,

I’d always go for the easiest, quickest route first :)

-Joseph @ApertureExpert

@PhotoJoseph

You may login with either your assigned username or your e-mail address.
Passwords are case-sensitive - Forgot your password?